While funding for operation and delivery of services is important, the reality is that non-profits must have the appropriate infrastructure in place to be able to deliver effective services.
When organisational capacity building is successful, it strengthens an organisation’s ability to fulfil its’ mission over time, and enhances their ability to have a positive impact on lives, issues and communities. Potential grant applicants in this category may apply for an 18-month Capacity Building Grant of up to $30,000 to build:
- Leadership capacity (e.g. strategic and organisational planning, development of strategic relationships, board development and succession planning)
- Management capacity (e.g. financial management and systems, staff development, human resource management, strengthening volunteer programs, compliance and legal issues)
- Operational capacity (e.g. fundraising, income diversification, communications and marketing, information technology)
- Change management capacity (e.g. strategic restructuring, partnership development, mergers, outcomes measurement and evaluation, organisational learning and knowledge management)
All grants are non-recurrent and will be for the 18-month period of 1 July 2020 through 31 December 2021.
Maximum request in this grant category is for those that have DGR1, TCC and ACNC registration is $30,000 and for those who have TCC and ACNC registration is $10,000.
You may only apply for one Community Grant i.e. if you apply for a Community (Capacity Building) Grant you may not apply for a Community (Capital Works & Equipment) Grant or a Community (Service Delivery) Grant.
We are currently accepting Community Capacity Grant applications until 3pm Thursday 16 April 2020.
All scheduled information sessions on our Community Grant Round have concluded. If you were unable to attend a session you can view the 2020 Community Grant Round Info Session Presentation which highlights additional information including tips for what makes a good application. If you have any questions about the presentation please contact Cynthia Scherer, Community Impact and Grants Manager by email or phone (03) 5229 4364.
Other Resources to Assist You in Submitting a Successful Application
Below are resources that can assist you in putting forward your best application:
- 2020 Community Capacity Building Grant: Guidelines – this resource provides all details related to the Capacity Building Grant process, from eligibility, to timeline, to assessment criteria to expectations for successful grant recipients.
- 2020 Community Capacity Building Grant: Tips for Completing Your Application – this resource takes you through each question in the application and provides additional direction, examples or information about what we are looking for from a question.
- 2020 Community Capacity Building Grant: Tips for Using Our Online Application Form – this resource provides tips about using our online application form. This includes information about the save and resume function, attachments and common submission errors.
- 2020 Community Capacity Building Grant: MSWord Version of the Application – while applications must be submitted via our online form we provide a word version of the application to assist applicants in preparing their submission. We encourage you to prepare your answers in the word version and to copy and paste them into the online application.
It can also be helpful to review our past Community Grant recipients.
Starting Your Online Application
Once you have reviewed all the resources above and prepared your application in the word document version you can start your online application here:
If you have any questions about eligibility, suitable grant requests, the application process or the online application form please contact Cynthia Scherer, Community Impact and Grants Manager via email or phone (03) 5229-4364.