Supporting the Road to Recovery | Give Where You Live
(03) 5229 4364

Supporting the Road to Recovery

June 7, 2016

Travis Foundatin61Through your donations Foundation 61 continues to provide residential rehabilitation to individuals struggling with life controlling issues. A $30,000 grant from the Give Where You Live Foundation assists Foundation 61 in delivering a holistic and fully supported rehabilitation program that responds to the needs and issues of each individual.

Foundation 61 aims to support individuals on their journey of recovery and to provide the resources and life skills that will enable them to rebuild their broken lives. Today 80% of those presenting for a chance at rehabilitation are ICE users. The other 20% of presentations are for those seeking treatment for dependency on alcohol or other drugs such as marijuana.

Travis’s story highlights both the challenges and the successes of the program. As Travis says,

By 25 my life started to take a turn for the worst. I was in trouble with the law, I was stealing, gambling and the ICE addiction had got out of control. I did not care about anything or anyone around me – myself included. By 26 I lost my job and almost found myself in prison due to many bad decisions. Around this time I found myself cut off from my family and those who really cared about me. I found myself homeless, financially and mentally struggling so sought help through a local community counsellor. It was during this time that I came to understand that I had a problem and needed to seek further help. It was the counsellor that put me in contact with Foundation 61.

Foundation 61 has given me my life back. It has taught me how to restructure my thinking and taught me ways to cope and handle difficult situations as they arise. I have learnt to understand my emotions through participating in various groups and in one on one counselling. As a result, I have gained myself an apprenticeship in baking. For now I plan to stay in Geelong and continue reaching the new goals I have set for myself”.